Sunday, December 22, 2013

ARC Review: Heartbeat by: Elizabeth Scott




Title: Heartbeat
Author: Elizabeth Scott
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Shelves: Young Adult, Realistic Fiction, Romance
Recommended for Fans Of: Sarah Dessen, Jessi Kirby
Publication Date: January 28th, 2014
Source: Harlequin Teen/ Netgalley for review
Format: e-arc

Synopsis: All Emma wants is her mother back. To be able to talk to her, to tell her about the pain of growing up, and especially about the baby that is growing in her stomach. But ever since Emma's mother's devastating death, Emma's stepfather Dan has forced Emma's mother's body to be kept alive- so her baby can survive. Brain dead and unseeing, Emma's mother is a reminder to Emma of the hate she harbors for Dan and the baby that destroyed her mother. Life is difficult for Emma, until she meets the one boy who just might be able to save her- and the one she might be able to save as well.

Review: Heartbeat has an extremely interesting plot. Imagine the horror of keeping your deceased mother's body alive just so the baby growing in her can live. All of which was done by your stepfather without once consulting you. I can understand why Emma would be outraged by this. Considering the close relationship she had with her mother, this would have been one of the most devastating events in her life. I had some nitpicky issues with this book, though.

Characters: Emma was definitely flawed, but to be honest, who isn't? I could understand her emotions, and where she was coming from, but one thing that bothered me was her stubbornness. She refused to see Dan's point of view and she shouted the same things over and over again. In fact, the repetitiveness of her arguments grew to be tiring and unconvincing. I found myself skimming through these parts with disinterest.

Romance: I definitely loved the romantic aspect in this book. Caleb was so scarred, and Emma healed him. Caleb had real issues that weighed him down, and not the petty problems of a typical wealthy child. Their romance was heated, and when they most needed someone to love, they were there for each other.

Storyline: I was a little disappointed by the lack of impact the story leaves on a reader. The ending was kind of predictable, and it wasn't a very high-strung book overall. I found myself able to tolerate this, as I'm sure many others will be able to also.

Conclusion: Although I was expecting a bit more from the acclaimed Elizabeth Scott, I still found myself engaged in Emma's tale of sorrow and heartbreak, and the lengths a person will go to to heal those wounds.

xoxo,
Fiction_TheNewReality

6 comments:

  1. I've been dying to get my hands on this book . Sad to see it was a little disappointing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! You described Emmas character perfectly. I wasn't a fan of hers for the majority of the novel, but she grew as a person and I really loved seeing that transformation.

    Great review!

    - Tabitha @ Tabitha's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read this author before and really enjoyed the books. But something held me back on this one. It just wasn't my favorite. I did like the premise though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have entered about five giveaways for this book. It's on my list. It's okay with me that it's a little predictable, as it's sometimes nice just to read something without having to think too hard about it.
    Dede

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read so many mixed review about this book that I'm really not sure whether I'll like it or not. I usually like contemporary romance so maybe I'll give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought this book because it's published by HarlequinTEEN (a favorite publisher of mine) and I can't wait to read it. I'm a little nervous, since it sounds like it will be a little emotional.

    ReplyDelete