Sunday, December 8, 2013

ARC Review: The Scar Boys by: Len Vlahos



Title: The Scar Boys
Author: Len Vlahos
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Shelves: Young Adult, Contemporary, Realistic Fiction
Recommended for Fans Of: Robin Benway, David Levitan, Yvonne Prinz
Source: Egmont USA
Format: Physical copy
Publication Date: January 21st, 2014

Synopsis: Harbinger Robert Francis Jones (Harry, in short) was almost struck by lightning as a child. But almost is never good enough, and Harry was left with permanent scars that cover his face and shuns him from the world. Through his years of school, Harry has been tormented mercilessly for being an outcast, a freak. But then he meets Johnny, and everything changes when they discover music, and the power of friendship. Thus, out of the ashes, rises a group of young misfit musicians banded together in their search for fame, liberation, and love. They are The Scar Boys.

Review: A huge thank you to Egmont USA for providing me with an ARC copy of this wonderful book! I was very pleasantly surprised with The Scar Boys. I don't know what I was expecting, but I had a vision of a Lemonade Mouth-esque type of storyline (a group of misfits band together and rise to stardom) and The Scar Boys did have that vibe. But it was so much more than just a Disney Channel movie. The Scar Boys held so much passion, wit and endless humor.

Characters: My heart went out to Harry, our main character, who was almost struck by lightning. I can't even begin to imagine not only the physical pain he suffered, but the emotional torment that was inflicted upon him by kids after the accident. Yet Harry didn't let the teasing and bullying become a part of who he was. He didn't turn bitter and crazed, and instead, stayed a kind and strong-willed young man. And in the end, Harry doesn't turn into a crazy confident and super macho man. But with time, he learns that the scars don't define who he is, his friends don't determine his future, and the lightning will never control his soul.

Writing: As a debut novelist, Len Vlaho's writing is flawless. He adds an undercurrent of sarcasm to the humor and wit that made this novel flow so well. It's sometimes hard for a reader to relate and connect to a book, but readers of The Scar Boys will be there for Harry's entire journey.

Plot/Storyline: I really enjoyed the storyline of The Scar Boys. It's fun and adventurous, like a ride on the wild side. There were no plot holes, which I was very appreciative of, and the book ended on a beautiful note. 

Conclusion: Charismatic and witty, Len Vlaho's debut novel tells a tale of change and the way music heals our lives forever.


  • "Music I discovered that night, was a sanctuary, a safe place to hide, a place where scars didn't matter, they didn't exist"
  • "People would come and people would go, I realized then, but music would be there until the end of time."
xoxo,
Fiction_TheNewReality


2 comments:

  1. This is a great review and I also love your format!

    Kathy
    My Nook, Books & More

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had my eye on this one for awhile. It does look pretty good and I do enjoy a good realistic fiction book! Hopefully I can fit in in sometime with all the other books I have to read.

    ReplyDelete