Saturday, December 28, 2013

Starters (Starters #1) by: Lissa Price

Title: Starters (Starters #1)
Author: Lissa Price
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Shelves: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Thriller
Recommended for Fans Of: S.J. Kincaid, Megan Crewe

Synopsis (from Goodreads): Callie lost her parents when the Spore Wars wiped out everyone between the ages of twenty and sixty. She and her little brother, Tyler, go on the run, living as squatters with their friend Michael and fighting off renegades who would kill them for a cookie. Callie's only hope is Prime Destinations, a disturbing place in Beverly Hills run by a mysterious figure known as the Old Man.

He hires teens to rent their bodies to Enders—seniors who want to be young again. Callie, desperate for the money that will keep her, Tyler, and Michael alive, agrees to be a donor. But the neurochip they place in Callie's head malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, and going out with a senator's grandson. It feels almost like a fairy tale, until Callie discovers that her renter intends to do more than party—and that Prime Destinations' plans are more evil than Callie could ever have imagined. . . .

Review: I started off this book as a very confused person. 
Yep, just like this guy.

But as the story went on, everything became clearer, and I started to understand how the body bank worked. It took a while, though, and I'm not used to reading a book where crucial information is not made clear in the very beginning. I didn't have too many problems with this style, seeing as how it became clearer later on. 

Characters: In terms of characters, I didn't really have too many problems with Callie. She didn't stand out to me in any way, but she didn't bother me too much either. My only issue with her was that SHE wasn't bothered by the fact that the only reason Blake liked her was because she was surgically made beautiful. She didn't give it any thought, and I feel like she should have dwelled on that fact to prove to readers that she wasn't shallow like the other Starters. 

Writing: The writing was fine, although I couldn't picture the scenes sometimes. I knew that Callie and the other Starters were beautiful, but I couldn't really picture Callie at all. Since I am the type of girl who likes to picture scenes in my head, this kind of bothered me.

Storyline/Plot: Sometimes I had a little trouble keeping up with the change of scenery and location. Other than that, it was fast paced and thrilling. If you are willing to overlook a little confusion, then you'll love the action in Starters.

Conclusion: Though not as well developed as books it has been compared to (ex: The Hunger Games), Starters is a refreshing spin on YA dystopia and science fiction.

xoxo,
Fiction_TheNewReality

1 comment:

  1. I have wanted to read this book for a while. I have picked it up but I couldn't get into it right away. I think I was just as confused as you were when you started. I might have to pick this back up so I can get some answers and see if I enjoy it as much as you did. Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete