Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Hunger Games by: Suzanne Collins

Title: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1)
Author: Suzanne Collins
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Shelves: Young Adult, Adventure, Romance, Books-into-Movies
Recommended for Fans Of: Veronica Roth, Lauren Oliver

Synopsis: Katniss Everdeen is a survivor. Since her father's terrible death, Katniss has learned to keep both herself and her family alive, in the ruins of what was once North America. Of the twelve districts, Katniss's own district twelve has taught her that obedience is key- especially to the Capitol. To ensure their obedience, every year, the Capitol holds The Hunger Games, a televised fight to the death. Two "lucky" tributes from each of the twelve districts are drawn to participate, and when Katniss's worst nightmare comes true, and her sister Prim is drawn, Katniss volunteers in her place. Now she must do everything she can to fight and come out of the games alive-even if it means trusting in her mentor, smiling for the Capitol- and falling in love with the boy who is supposed to be her enemy.

Review: In truth, I don't really like The Hunger Games. Well, that's not quite true. The first time I read this series, I have to confess that I didn't even read the third book, because I was so dissatisfied with Catching Fire. Even though the Catching Fire MOVIE was amazing (see my review and GIVEAWAY here!) I just couldn't deal with the rest of the series. However, I do really love the first book. Suzanne Collins created a world full of amazing, flawed characters that you can't help but love. The background and setting is brilliant too, and the idea behind the story is impeccable.

Speaking of the characters, I have a special place for all of them in my heart. Suzanne somehow manages to build each character around their own individual flaws, and then have each of them shine in their own way. It just shows that under every person, is kindness and love. Each character didn't let their flaws get in the way. My favorite part of this book was that amazing feeling of seeing a tribute help Katniss or Peeta, out of mercy and kindness. It makes me really happy in a really fuzzy way to read just how deep kindness reaches in a human being.

I won't mention Battle Royale in my review, because I don't have all my facts straight between that the The Hunger Games. I do know, however, that Battle Royal is an Asian version, and I never bothered to compare it to The Hunger Games. Suzanne deserves whatever credit is given to her for creating Katniss and Peeta's world. Just how much of a phenomenon and world-renowned figure they have become shows just how much people love and admire this book.

The real reason I don't like The Hunger Games series is because the first time I read it, I was about to see the movie. If I had read the book a long time before the movie came out, I don't think my judgement of this series would be so harsh. I have to admit that I don't like Josh Hutcherson as Peeta. Although he is an amazing actor, and I definitely liked him a lot better as Peeta in Catching Fire, he didn't impressive me in the first Hunger Games movie. I just cannot get over the fact that he is several inches shorter than Jennifer Lawrence, and I just keep imagining the awkwardness. In the book, it mentions that Katniss had to stand up on her tiptoes to kiss Peeta on the cheek, but I feel like Peeta might have to stand on HIS tiptoes to kiss Katniss! This does not affect how I feel about the first Hunger Games book.

I had to read The Hunger Games for school, and I was immediately submerged into this amazing world again. Although I was again, impressed with Suzanne Collins, I don't think I will have much motivation to read Catching Fire since it is not required for English class.

Conclusion: Still as enthralling and enchanting as it was on the first day it was published, Suzanne Collin's The Hunger Games was a quick and easy read, and for those of you who haven't read it, I really do recommend you try it out! Although I have mixed feelings for the books and movie, others have started fandoms based on THG, so I'm not judging:)

xoxo,
Fiction_TheNewReality

6 comments:

  1. I actually enjoyed this series. My biggest problem was the wrap-up ending at the end of book three. But Suzanne creates deep characters and I love that about her writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the books before watching the movie, so I had the idea in my head already. And I LOVED, loved the first two books. Didn't like the 3rd as much.
    Dede

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series. I read all three long before the movies came out, so while I might have had some ideas, I still love the movies too, despite what they have to cut out. But the books are always better for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is just perfection. I absolutely loved it. I can't really say any more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this series, I want to read it again... for the third time! Haha

    ReplyDelete