Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Gated (Gated #1) by: Amy Christine Parker

Title: Gated (Gated #1)
Author: Amy Christine Parker
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Shelves: Young Adult, Science Fiction
Recommended for Fans Of: Emma Pass, Robin McKinley

Synopsis (from Goodreads): A fast-paced, nerve-fraying contemporary thriller that questions loyalties and twists truths.

Appearances can be deceiving.

In the Community, life seems perfect. After the 9/11 terrorist attacks, Pioneer invited Lyla’s family to join his group and escape the evil in the world. They were happy to be chosen, happy to move away from New York and start over in such an idyllic gated community. Now seventeen, Lyla knows that Pioneer is more than just their charismatic leader, he is their prophet . . . but his visions have grown dark.

Lyla is a loyal member of the Community, but a chance encounter with an outsider boy has her questioning Pioneer, the Community—everything. And if there’s one thing not allowed in the Community, it’s doubt. Her family and friends are certain in their belief. Lyla wishes she could feel the same. As Pioneer begins to manipulate his flock toward disaster, the question remains: Will Lyla follow them over the edge?

From the outside looking in, it’s hard to understand why anyone would join a cult. But Gated tells the story of the Community from the inside looking out, and from behind the gates things are not quite so simple. Amy Christine Parker’s beautiful writing creates a chilling, utterly unique YA story. Perfect for fans of creepy thrillers and contemporary fiction alike.

Review: Well thanks a lot, Amy Christine Parker. I'm never going to be able to look at my community the same again. Gated was a super creepy psychological thriller. It makes you questions everything you know, and keeps you in suspense. I had anxiety half the time while reading this because I was dying to know what happened next, but I kept thinking that it probably wouldn't be good.

I don't know why, but I keep thinking of Shirley Jackson's The Lottery, mainly because that short story opens up on a bright sunny day, introducing a close knit group of people. In Gated, nothing seems wrong with the Community until a little bit later. In fact, Amy had me thinking that somehow, Pioneer was a good guy. But alas, the psychological part of "psychological thriller" kicks in. This book will make you question a lot of things, and specifically what is the correct definition of "right and wrong". The character of Pioneer really plays with your mind, as he seems like such a normal guy, and then you find out that he's really insane.

I wanted more romance in this book! The only reason I gave this book 4.5 out of 5 stars is because I really wanted to read more swoony scenes between Lyla and Cody! But I did know that their romance was going to be limited, since Lyla was put on strict restrictions.

I know there is going to be a sequel to Gated, and I'm really excited to see what direction Amy is going to write Lyla's story in. There's definitely going to be some major surprises, and if Gated gives us any clues, an incredible story.

Conclusion: A stunning novel from debut author Amy Christine Parker, Gated is a must read book that will surprise you and keep you guessing until the very end.

xoxo,
Fiction_TheNewReality


7 comments:

  1. I love GATED, and Pioneer scared the bejeezus out of me. I love that you thought of The Lottery, because that brings up the same sort of eeriness in how things Just Aren't Right behind the scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great read. And the cover is creepy!!! I love surprise reads so I'm defiantly checking this out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cover is creepy, and I love it. It definitely drew me to the story. Now I just need a chance to read it. I love a good psychological thriller that will completely mess with your head and Gated sounds like the perfect story for just such a thing! Thank you for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did enjoy reading this one. I'm really glad you enjoyed it a lot! It wasn't my favorite but it left me wanting to read more from this author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for recommending this book! I have been looking for a psychological thriller to read:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Added this to my TBR list too. You know you have singlehandedly cost me about two paychecks just in books you reviewed?
    Dede

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got this and am super excited to hear that it is creepy! :)

    ReplyDelete