Wednesday, December 4, 2013

In the Shadow of Blackbirds By: Cat Winters

Title: In the Shadow of Blackbirds
Author: Cat Winters
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Shelves: Young Adult, Historical Fiction, Paranormal
Recommended for Fans Of: Ransom Riggs, Holly Black

Synopsis: In the year of 1918, San Diego is filled with the dead and dying. In the midst of war and plague, a young girl struggles to unravel the secrets of the only boy she ever loved-whose restless soul still haunts her every day. Devastatingly romantic and haunting, Cat Winters writes a debut novel full of passion, spirits, and sin.

Review: Oh my Lord, In the Shadow of Blackbirds was PHENOMENAL. I would even say that it is ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF 2013.

In the Shadow of Blackbirds broke my heart. It's a tale of endless love in a time when love doesn't exist. Mary Shelley and Stephen's love story KILLED ME. It was so devastatingly romantic. This book made me feel all the fangirly emotions and I loved it.

This book was both chilling and passionate, and Cat Winters did an astounding job writing these scenes. The black and white photographs were a great addition to the mood of the book. I also really loved how much of the war can be seen in this paranormal theme. I've read historical books set during a time of war, and there was not even one mention of fighting in the whole story. In the Shadow of Blackbirds was different. It shows that war was as much of a killer as any disease, any plague, and madman.

 I'm not usually a fan of historical fiction and paranormal, but this book was definitely a wonderful exception. When I first picked up In the Shadow of Blackbirds, I wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't read the synopsis and I figured I would just let this story carry me wherever it wanted to go. Based on the cover, I knew that this would be in the paranormal genre, but I was so amazing at the brilliant way Cat Winters wrote in historical fiction, romance, AND mystery. I definitely cannot wait to read more of her books, and she is definitely an author to watch.

Conclusion: Please read this book. It's just too amazing for words. All I can say is that I recommend it 100%.

xoxo,
Fiction_TheNewReality

8 comments:

  1. You make this sound so good, I'm adding it to my goodreads and I can't wait to read it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I'm so glad you really liked this one because I've been DYING to read it. I've heard nothing but great things about it and I can't imagine not enjoying it.

    You're not a fan of historical fiction? I adore it. What don't you like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover of this one is so good. and the reviews that I have read just make me excited! It sounds so good. A truly beautiful story. Good thing it is on my Kindle. Now I just have to make some time to actually read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This novel is one of my favorite reads of 2013! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read it now even though this isnt really my type of book

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book is sooooo in my TBR list!! I need to push it forward cause I keep on hearing fantastic opinions about it all over the place!

    Thanks for making sure your review is spoiler free!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a book I would have passed on, except for reading about it on three or four blogs. Now I want it. Like, today.
    Dede

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a surprising one for me! I don't normally enjoy this genre that much. However, I did. So excited to read more from this author!

    ReplyDelete