Friday, January 10, 2014

ARC Review: The Vow By: Jessica Martinez



Title: The Vow
Author: Jessica Martinez
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Shelves: Young Adult, Contemporary, Realistic Fiction
Recommended for Fans Of: 
Publication Date: October 15th, 2013
Source: ARCycling Program for review 
Format: Physical ARC

Synopsis: There are so many different definitions of love. For Mo and Annie, their love is a bond stronger than even a brother and sister can hold. So when Mo is forced to move back to his homeland of Jordan, Annie rushes to keep Mo in the United States the only way she can; by marrying him. It seems like the perfect plan and it seems like nothing will separate the two best friends, until one day, Annie does the unexpected. She falls in love. But not with her husband, Mo. Now the couple must try to convince everyone and deceive the authorities before they are separated forever.

Review: A huge thank you to The ARCycling Program for providing me with this ARC copy for review! I was a little skeptical with this book at first. I usually don't read "unusual" contemporary novels, where the storyline is not flat-out love, but I decided to take a chance with The Vow, and I am so glad I did.

Storyline/Plot This storyline broke my heart. It was everything they couldn't say, everything they couldn't do, all wrapped up into one book. It was definitely a realistic concept written very well, and told with true emotion and charm. This was me after reading:
THE EMOTIONS. *flails*

Characters: The characters were really interesting! Each one was kind of peculiar in their own way, and they came together to form something so real and tangible. Both Annie and Mo were flawed, and their flaws came together to form a wonderfully raw story.

Writing: The Vow was such a roller coaster ride of emotions. I started off the book with a set mindframe, convinced I was not going to change my opinion, but Jessica Martinez wove a story where I came out and was like, "what is going on? How am I okay with changing my mind?" The writing, in general, was fabulous, and I had no problem connecting with the characters. The emotions Jessica made me feel as I read deeper and deeper into Annie and Mo's story was a problem for the "use in case of feels" tissues used, but I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT.

Romance: I really can't say too much about the romance aspect of this book without giving too much away! I didn't know what to expect, but I really loved the path the romance in this book ended up taking. It seems only fitting, and you'll just have to read it for yourself to find out;)

Conclusion: I suggest you have these while reading this book:
Because you'll need them. Jessica Martinez writes a raw and emotional new novel that will leave you stunned and wanting more. Guaranteed.

7 comments:

  1. Ooo! I think I need to put this on my TBR list for sure! The concept sounds amazing, and now I know you like it, so. I always like when a book exceeds my expectations and is something different from what I thought. (: Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Jess! And if you do read it, let me know what you think! <3
      -Jayne

      Delete
  2. Here's a fun fact about me: "raw and emotional" reads are my favorites. So, I will have to try this one. And since I've read another book by the author (Virtuosity, which is a really, really good book), I will definitely keep an eye on this newer book by her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Kaitlin! I'm thinking of reading Virtuosity since I was so impressed by The Vow! :D Let me know what you think if you get a chance to read it!
      -Jayne

      Delete
  3. At first i thought that the plot was similar with the movie, but this goes in a better course! I believe there are also funny moments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you were able to enjoy this one. For me, the characters were off. But I'm sure it'll appeal to many!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I am going to have to make myself a box of "Use In Case of Feels" tissues! I could most certainly use them on a regular basis, with my leaky eye problem of course. Because I am not at all an emotional person. Yeah, that is a big old lie. I cry at everything, and The Vow definitely sounds like a book that would require at least a box and half of the old UICOF tissues. This is definitely not the type of book that I would pick up on my own, but your reaction to it might have convinced me that this here is a must read!

    ReplyDelete